NORR Architects & Engineers Limited
Located across from Parliament Hill in Ottawa, the Wellington Building was constructed in 1927 for the Metropolitan Insurance Company. Acquired by the Crown in 1973, the building was completely renovated from 2010 – 2016. The Wellington Building was rehabilitated with the intent to help green government operations by reducing Parliament’s environmental footprint. The building now serves as the new House of Commons.
The living wall biofilter is just one of the energy efficiency measures incorporated into the building. The project is Green Globes certified and earned a very high eco-rating. At 8.9 metres wide x 4.4 metres high, this 39 square metre biofilter is cleaning up to 5,000 cfm of air per second.
Photos courtesy of doublespace photography.